Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Okay so I have been wanting to make my own laundry detergent for a while now. I bought the supplies months ago, but never seemed to have the time. So after seeing two good friends, Holly and Jessica, write about their experiences with homemade laundry detergent I had to get on the ball.

Not only do you save money by making your own laundry detergent, but your clothes last longer and dry softer. So far the detergent has been great and I have calculated the cost per load is about 2 cents (which is awesome compared to the 46 cents a load from store bought)!

There are recipes out there for powder or liquid detergent. Holly and Jessica both made wonderful powder detergents. I happen to prefer liquid detergent, so that's what I made. Whatever style you like, the basic ingredients are the same. Here is what I did if anyone else out there is interested in making your own laundry detergent too! Have fun!

Step 1 -collect all your supplies (found at Wal-Mart). You will need 1 five gallon bucket, 2 cups of washing soda, 2 cups of borax, 2 and 1/4 gallons of water and  about 1 and a half bars of ivory soap.

Step 2 - finely grate bars of soap.

Step 3 - add finely grated soap to 1 quart of boiling water. 

Step 4 - keep on low heat and stir until all soap is melted.

Step 5 - pour the soap water into five gallon bucket and add the Borax and Washing Soda. Stir well until all is dissolved. 

Step 6 - add 2 gallons of water, stir until well mixed.

Step 7 - fill old container with new homemade detergent and no one will ever know!


I may try a defferent soap next time, but other than that I have been very satisfied with my new detergent. It didn't take long and it made enough to probably last through the summer! My next idea is a homemade washing machine....ha! You'll have to stay tuned to see that one! ;)



1 comment:

Jessica said...

I was wondering how the liquid detergent would turn out! I'll have to give it a try the next time I buy my supplies!