Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

GMHG part 4 - daily happenings

Ah finally the last post from GMHG 2012. This post is a little more random than the others. These pictures are just a collection from the whole trip.
 
Unfortunately this picture was taken while the Woodsman was still marching in the parade. Other than him, these are the members of the Hay Clan that marched in the parade of tartans for 2012.
 
Clan Hay tent.
 
Micah (Clan Scott), Rodney (Clan Home), The Woodsman (Clan Hay) and Matt (House of Bruce)
Just look at what the Woodsman has started! These are just the first few guys to join him in finding their clans and donning their kilts. One day I will have a picture of ALL the guys!
 
It was cloudy and rained most of the time this year, but I finally managed to snap a couple of pictures of Grandfather Mtn!
 
 
.
So excited to finally have my skirt!!
Mrs. Tucker (what a perfectly fitting name!) was kind enough to make this dress for me this year. She made the green under skirt, the tartan over skirt and (in the picture below) the vest. I have since decided I don't care for the vest and I've got to come up with something different. The black shirt will have to do for now.
 
We were finally able to get Laura and Thomas to come up this year! Now we've got to get them into the Thomas tartan. I think they enjoyed it.
 
They don't all look happy in this picture, but I promise they were having a good time! I snapped this during the two seconds it wasn't raining that day.
 
One afternoon when the rain took a break, this piper was kind enough to play for us as we cleaned up the tent. He even took my request for The Gael. It was amazing!
 
Kids wrestling.... These little guys (and gals) are so fun to watch. They are so focused and try so hard.
 

Meg the Sheep Herder (no really the dog's name is Meg)
One of my favorite events to watch is the sheep herding. These dogs are so amazing. The Scottish border collie is said to be the smartest breed and after watching them here I believe it. 


Another awesome part of the GMHG is the plethora of great music. The Celtic groves provide the perfect place for musicians of all types to play without interrupting the games on the field. One of the excellent performers this year was an Alabama gal that I have the pleasure of hearing on a regular basis back home at Local Color. Jil Chambless sings traditional Scottish/Irish ballads, plays the flute and plays the Irish whistle.
 
 
While driving back to the Chalet one day I noticed a couple of signs and landmarks I had to have pictures of...... bet you can't guess why!

Special thanks to the Woodsman for appeasing me with my crazy requests!;)


Awe, one of my favorite views in the area. This picture was taken in a little town called Valle Cruis. It is home to one of the oldest general stores still in use. The valley is surrounded by a gorgeous 360 degree view of the Appalachian mountains. The fence and barn make for an ideal picture! Thanks to Rodney for snapping the pic for me.
 
 
That should about do it for this year's trip to the GMHG. Looking forward to making the trek again next year. We would love for you to join us!!!







No comments: