Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves." ~Anna Quindlen



Ah the wonderful sights and sounds coming from my kitchen on most school mornings......

After the hustle and bustle of choosing clothes and shoes, packing lunches and snacks, brushing hair and teeth, feeding the dogs, picking out breakfast and all the other hurried things we do in the morning, my girls LOVE to sit down and read. I don't make them do it, they chose to!

This is a fairly regular occurrence when they have time, but this particular morning just made me smile from ear to ear. As I was running around like a crazy person trying to leave on time, I heard my 4 year old reading. I stopped in the other room where they could not see me and just listened. Miss Priss was reading the book to Little Bit (as usual), but then I would hear Little Bit's voice. She was reading some of the words from the pages to her big sister. Miss Priss would point to the word, then point to the picture and say things like "who is that, or what are they doing...." and Little Bit would relate the word to the picture. By the end of the book, Little Bit had probably learned a handful of sight words.

I was amazed at the progress Miss Priss and Little bit have been making, but what really got me was the bond and kindness between two sisters. Miss Priss was so eager to help her little sister learn and Little Bit thinks her big sister hung the moon. They are so caring and loving to each other (most of the time). My only brother is 12 years younger than me, so I didn't experience siblings as a young child. Watching my girls interact is so fascinating to me.

When they finally realized I was standing over them with a camera, Miss Priss looked up at me and said "Isn't she doing so good Mommy!?!" as Little Bit grinned from ear to ear. And I said "Of course she is, she's got a great teacher!" Which of course made Miss Priss grin from ear to ear!

Not only to they get along so wonderfully, but they share a love for reading! I am so blessed!



No comments: