Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Keeping the tradition alive!

I get a lot of crazy looks when I tell people my husband wears a kilt. At first it bothered me a little, but now I think it is just funny to watch people's faces as they try to think of something to say. The fact is most men did not start wearing pants until the late 1780s. So that means they wore some type of dress or skirt as a regular garment. If you are interested you can read about the history of the kilt here.


So why does P wear his kilt? Well for one, I think he looks pretty darn good in it myself! ;) Two, he loves history and is proud of his heritage. It also keeps history and those traditions alive. Just because our ancestors did things differently doesn't mean we should forget about it.


My father-in-law a.k.a. - Papaw! This was his kilt debut. I think he looks pretty sharp myself!


The Hay Clan is Scottish (if you were still wondering!:). My husband's 7th great-grandfather (read more about him and the Hays Cemetery here) was born in Scotland in 1786. He moved to the states in the early 1800s. More than likely Stanwick Hays wore a kilt or at least knew someone that did!


I just love this one! They look so nice!

Okay so I am the last one to get my act together and purchase my tartan material! I will be in this picture next year!





The 5th, 6th and 7th generations.


3 comments:

Meg said...

Meghan: Thanks very much for the posting. Everyone looks so good in their kilts! No doubt many, many Highland Games are in ya'lls future.
We wish P Godspeed on his deployment, and we will be praying for him.
Love, Elouise and Gus Guggenheim

Meg said...

I love these. Thanks so much for sending. It appears I must have missed some the last time you sent this out. Great to see all you guys have been up to.

Love yall.

Byron Whittington

Meg said...

Meghan, the Hay Clan is certainly a dashing group in their Scottish attire. I do appreciate the photo updates. Here's wishing P the best of luck during his deployment. He is in my prayers for a safe return.
David