Pages

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Hiking and waterfalls - Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest

On our way home from GMHG we stopped back through Andrews to pick up the girls. Instead of rushing back home we decided to meet up, have a picnic and do a little hiking.
Just right up the road from the cabin is an awesome place to see an untouched forest. Some of its towering trees are as old as 400 years. It is really an amazing sight to see and to think the whole Appalachian area looked this way before logging companies came through.
 
The beautiful creek that runs through the forest.

Everyone stopping to enjoy the creek.
(Papa Jim)

Little Bit blazed the way.

Standing inside a tree trunk.

My three fast hikers in front of me.


And the three slower hikers behind me!
 
Granny T enjoying the stroll.

Taking a break and checking out the first large Poplar tree we came to.

My favorite tree in our yard that I use for photography is a poplar like this one. I wonder if mine will ever get this big?

They call these two trees here "sisters".

So you know I had a get a picture with these sisters!

Now that's a big tree!
Granny T, Little Bit, Miss Priss and Papa Jim

This was not my favorite tree. All the roots liked like a pit of snakes to me.

Then speak of the devil we found a snake......EEK!
And not just any ole snake. It was a dang diamondback rattlesnake..
He was just all curled up on the side of the trial.
Pop, who was trailing behind, was the only one who spotted him. Every one of the rest of us walked right on by him.
EEK! - Scary - I hate snakes!

Checking out the cool bridge (hoping he will build one for me soon) while they waited on the slower folks!
 
 
After wrapping it up at the forest we decided to return to the cabin on what we call "The Waterfall Road". Naturally we couldn't just drive by all the waterfalls, we had to get out and play!


I could sit here and listen to this all day!

Helping her across so she doesn't get her feet wet!
 
My daredevil!


Awwww... Gotta get pictures of the lovebirds by the waterfall for the cabin wall.

Aren't they just too cute.

Little Bit trying to decide if she wants to take a chance and join her sister.

Everyone hanging out and enjoying the scenery.

My bearded man and his pipe.

Pop and his girls. I think this one needs to go on the wall at the cabin too! ;)

Mommy and her girls.

I love that my girls love to be outside with me!

Headed back to the cabin. Papa Jim stops to refill our water bottles with yummy "mountain spring water".
 
 



No comments: